Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Hi-Tek - "Hi-Teknology"



Hi-Tek, one of the founding members of Mood and Reflection Eternal (along with Talib Kweli), was important player in establishing Rawkus Records as a legitimate label.  He’s best known for his work on Rawkus’ Soundbombing compilations, his works with Black Star and his work as part of Reflection Eternal.  In May of 2001, Hi-Tek released his solo debut “Hi-Teknology.”  The album features the likes of Buckshot, Common, Cormega, Mos Def, Talib Kweli and Vinia Mojica over Hi-Tek productions. “Hi-Teknology” definitely fit in well with the Hip-Hop/Neo-Soul vibe that was trending at the time of its release.
**********

Chris: What made you want to revisit “Hi-Teknology”?

Mike: I think “Hi-Teknology” was a classic and it came out at a time when I was getting fully divulged into Hip Hop

Chris: I was a fan of this album as well. It got a lot of listen and actually inspired some creativity on my part. Do you remember the “Scratch Rappin’” inspired tape that I had made in High School?

Mike: No, that sounds dope though. Send it to me if you still have it.

Chris: I wish I did, man! I pieced together a 16-bar verse using a bar from 16 different rappers using a cassette deck and it all rhymed!

Mike: Dang that sounds super awesome!

Hi-Tek – “Scratch Rappin’”



Chris: How important do you think Hi-Tek was to establishing Rawkus Records as a legitimate Hip Hop label?

Mike: I really don’t know. He lent down some classics, no doubt, but I feel like the Rawkus movement was Mos, Talib, Pharoahe and Eon. Hi-Tek somehow doesn’t instantly come to mind when I think “Rawkus” like the aforementioned.

Chris: I think my appreciation for Hi-Tek has increased over time. I see him as being right up there with the people you named for his contributions to label and helping to create the Rawkus sound. I know they weren’t on this album but when I think of Rawkus Record the first things that comes to mind are Black Star – “Definition” and “1-9-9-9”. One of my favorite sample uses ever is that Sweet Blindness jam on “1-9-9-9”!!

Common feat. Sadat X – “1-9-9-9” (produced by DJ Hi-Tek)


Sweet Blindness – “Ain’t No Use”


Chris: Where do you rank Hi-Tek in terms of Hip Hop producers?

Mike: Hi-Tek is easily a Top 10 producer for fans of real Hip Hop. From his slow rollers to club bangers, the dude is complete. I’m going to say this, I actually prefer “Hi-Teknology 2” over this first installment due his usage of Jazz elements on that album.

Chris: I think he’s definitely up there for his era and I think I appreciate him even more now. Also, that is interesting, I’ve never actually heard “Hi-Teknology 2”

Do you have any favorite tracks from this album?

Mike: My favorite track is Common “The Sun God”. The soulful beat compliments a prime Lonnie in the best way. Vinia Mojica also lends the perfect feminine vocals that just adds an extra flavor that is much appreciated.

Chris: Yes! “The Sun God” is dope! Common kills and you get Vinia Mojica on anything the probability of me liking it is 100%. Vinia Mojica actually makes two appearances on this album. She also has the song with Mos Def that is really great as well.

Hi-Tek feat. Common and Vinia Mojica – “The Sun God”


Chris:  My favorite track “Breakin’ Bread” with Mood.  I thought it was cool that he was able to do such a dope song with some Cincinnati cats.

Hi-Tek feat. Main Flow, Donte Fleming, Brian Digby, Crunch Ex and Donte Fleming “Breakin Bread”


Chris: How do you feel about “Hi-Teknology” now versus when you first heard it?

Mike: I still love this album. It’s a grown-up album and I can say I like and understand it more now than when I was a kid. As a shorty, I wanted brolic raps, which other Rawkus releases provided. When I first discovered it, I was too young but I’ve since grown into it. Certified classic Hip Hop album in my ears.

Chris: While I had been a fan of it before, I would say I’m probably even more so now. Just good vibes all throughout this album.


No comments:

Post a Comment