Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Beanie Sigel - "The B. Coming"


First and foremost, we hope everyone out there is staying safe. That being said, this is nonetheless and outlet that is practicing all safety measures and hopefully can get some Hip Hop fans smiling in these rough times.  Kind of switching up the layout for this one-off, as I (Mike) will be helming the questions that are typically laid down by the homie Chris.  This installment is a review of Beanie Sigel’s sophomore effort on Roc-a-fella records called “The B. Coming”. As always, welcome back to Rewind and we hope you dig this new installment…


Mike: When “The B. Coming” came out, to me it struck me as a wildly out of place in an otherwise wildly braggadocios Roc-a-fella catalogue. It seemed dark, eerie, and juxtaposed what we were hearing from his Roc contemporaries like The Diplomats, the Young Gunz, and Memphis Bleek. Did you expect to hear a different album the first time you gave this a listen?

Chris: Initially I remember buying the album solely because of the song with Grand Puba and Sadat X. I had heard the song somewhere and I just thought it was incredible but to answer your question, I don’t know if I did. While there are some dark, eerie and introspective songs there is still a lot of that typical Roc-a-fella vibe on this album but I enjoyed the moments where he got away from that a little bit.

Mike: Clearly Beanie Sigel’s incarceration influenced his mental state during this recording. I personally cite it as one of the most introspective Hip Hop albums ever, as I feel the frustration and paranoia shine through in a way that only his predicament could incite.  Kind of a “pain fuels great art” vibe. Is this something you feel when bumping this album?

Chris: For sure, there is a lot of vulnerability that comes through on this album which is always appealing because it’s so relatable. Especially the ones about women/relationship problems. “Oh Daddy” is one that stands out for me. Such a dope beat too.

Beanie Sigel feat. Young Chris – “Oh Daddy” (Produced by Boola)


Mike: Do you think Beans’ approach to this album held him back on this album? His first album “The Truth” carried forth the typical dynamic we knew from Roc-a-fella (car raps, jewelry, drug dealing, sped up soul samples). Although the squad wasn’t too altered, this felt way more “mature” than his previous offering. Do you feel his mental growth is shown between the two albums also?

Chris: Without question, most often an artist’s first album is their best work because they’ve had their whole life up to that point to create the album. In my opinion there is a clear progression in Beanie Sigel’s game from his first album to this his third.

Mike: The amount of heavy hitters on this album reads like a “Rap All-Star Team” with guest vocals from Redman, Cam’ron, Snoop and the boards being blessed by Just Blaze, DJ Scratch, and the Madd Rapper. Who’s guest appearance impressed you the most?

Chris: My favorite guest appearances were Grand Puba and Sadat X on “Bread & Butter”. It’s my favorite track on the album. So dope! I love Just Blaze’s flip of that Johnny “Guitar” Watson song.

Beanie Sigel feat. Grand Puba and Sadat X – “Bread & Butter” (Produced by Just Blaze)


Johnny “Guitar” Watson – “Proud of You”



Mike: I have another comment and question in regard to the album…

The classic blue filtered Danny Hastings photograph cover was an instant giveaway that this was going to be one of this was going to be one to go down in the history books. From KRS’s “Return of the Boom Bap” to Jeru’s “Wrath of the Math” to Eminem’s “Slim Shady LP”, this has been proven successful. There is something to be said about the stature of this aesthetic. Was the cover art something that immediately drew you to this album? For me, it was and I think it’s a great visual depiction of Beanie’s illustrious and heavy content.

Chris: It’s not something I remember drawing to album at the time but I think you make a very interesting point. Danny Hastings has taken some of the most classic photographs in Hip Hop history. I encourage anyone who isn’t familiar with his work to google “Danny Hastings”. You’re in for a surprise! To me, Danny Hastings work is very familiar to the old Blue Note album covers where the color tone of the photo evokes an emotion in you, setting the mood for the music on the album.



Mike: I think it’s safe to say that both our favorite Hip Hop album is O.C.’s 1994 release “Word..Life”. Do you also hear similarities in the content on “The B. Coming” at times?

Chris: I think that there are some similarities in terms of some of the “personal” content but that would probably be it. No shots at all at this album because I definitely enjoy it but I consider “Word..Life” to be a perfect album.

Mike: And to wind it down, gotta end on the staple questions… favorite tracks and is “The B. Coming” and album you would still enjoy bumping to this day? I’m going with “Feel it in the Air” and I can say it has never left my rotation.  This is a 5 mic album in my book.

Beanie Sigel feat. Melissa – “Feel It in The Air” (Produced by Heavy D)


Chris: Kind of cool that “Feel It in The Air” was produced by Heavy D! My favorite tracks were “Bread & Butter”, “Oh Daddy”, “Purple Rain” and “I Can’t Go On This Way”. I’m really glad that you chose to review this album because it was an album that I haven’t heard in a while and I actually like even more than I had in the past. It’s a good listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment