Thursday, August 20, 2020

Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock - "It Takes Two"



Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock released their studio debut “It Takes Two” on August 9, 1988 on Profile Records. Friends since the 5th grade, the duo would go to sell over a million copies of “It Takes Two” both as an album and as a single. The album, as well as the single were pivotal in crossing Hip Hop music over into mainstream popular culture. Production was handled by Rob Base, DJ E-Z Rock, William Hamilton, Donald Dee Bowden, Thomas Dean and Teddy Riley. Rob Base, the only one to rap on the album, is a traditional emcee in the sense that the majority of his lyrical content consists of efforts to get the crowd hype and of course, the braggadocios rhymes which are a Hip Hop staple. After a short break up, the pair reunited in 1994 for another studio album (“Break of Dawn”) but it didn’t receive nearly as much fanfare as “It Takes Two” did. Most recently, Rob Base has still been touring as part of a 90s review and sadly, DJ E-Z Rock passed away in 2014 at age 46. Although their legacy only maybe tied to a couple of songs, Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock had their impact on Popular music and how we hear it today.

Guest choice: Gary’s (@gardog66) first appearance on the blog

********

Chris: “It Takes Two” was an important album for me growing up because listening to it was kind of my introduction into becoming a fan of Hip Hop music. The songs that really stick out from my childhood are “In the House” by the L.A. Dream Team, “Cinderfella” by Dana Dane, “I Can’t Wait” by Spyder-D, “Buffalo Gals” by Malcolm McLaren and of course “It Takes Two” by Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock.  These are all songs/albums that my Aunt owned and played frequently when I was very young. These are the foundation of my Hip Hop fandom. Can you remember when you first heard “It Takes Two”? Why did you want to review the album “It Takes Two”?

Gary: For me it started with the Sugar Hill Gang’s “Rapper’s Delight”, which came out in 1979. I was just about to start High School when began. The 80’s was the best decade for Hip Hop by far. There were so many great songs and rappers. After “Rapper’s Delight” started the craze. You had groups and rappers like Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five with “The Message.” Run DMC, LL Cool J, Whodini, Slick Rick and so many more. Back to the question, the song was so iconic, that I can’t remember any other songs besides “It Takes Two” and “Joy and Pain.” I wanted to go back and give it a listen.

Chris: One thing I remember is that for at least 15 years until I finally saw the music video for “It Takes Two” on VH1 Soul, I thought Rob Base was DJ E-Z Rock and DJ E-Z Rock was Rob Base. “It Takes Two” is such an iconic song. In your opinion, what makes it so great?

Gary: MTV started in the early 80’s, after school we would go home and watch music videos. There were so many great songs dropping in the decade and music videos to go with the songs which made it even better.  By the time the late 80’s came around I was going to the clubs around the city and then the after parties, so many great memories. One thing that would happen every weekend is the DJ would play this song and the floor would get packed and people would get so hyped and happy and just dance. The song is so timeless, with such a great beat. If you were to play this song in your house today everyone regardless of age would smile and move to the beat. This song will change your mood to happiness instantly. 

Chris: I have the same memories from “It Takes Two” being played at house parties when I was a kid. There is just such a bolt of energy whenever that record comes on, you can’t fight it. Rob Base’s lyrics, EZ Rock’s beat, it was all on point. All the stars aligned for them on that track.

Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock – “It Takes Two”



Chris: There were rumors for a long time that Teddy Riley was behind the boards for the making of “It Takes Two” but those rumors were dispelled by Rob Base. Teddy Riley was involved with the album though. He’s responsible for the song “Crush”, which in my opinion, was their attempt to capitalize off the success of LL Cool J’s “I Need Love”. What did you think of the song “Crush”?

Gary: This one is easy. “I Need Love” could never be duplicated. Many have tried and many have failed. The song was so bad, it took me three tries to get thru it. I kept skipping ahead to the next song, it was so bad. SO BAD.

Chris: Hahaha it is really bad, isn’t it? And there is no question in my mind that they were trying to copy LL or even Slick Rick’s “Teenage Love.” What really makes me laugh is intro where he’s talking to who I’m assuming is DJ EZ Rock.

Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock – “Crush” (Produced by Teddy Riley)


LL Cool J – “I Need Love”


Chris: As a record collector, I really appreciated the samples that were used on this album. There were more than a few famous breaks (Jimmy Castor – “It’s Just Begun”, The Commodores – “Assembly Line”, ESG – “UFO”, Thin Lizzy - “Johnny The Fox”, and Lyn Collins – “Think About It” that were used on this album. What did you think of the production as whole on this album and did you have any favorite tracks outside of “It Takes Two”?

Gary: I think when “It Takes Two” came out and became such a big hit. They rushed the rest of the album while the song was still hot. My favorite songs are “It Takes Two” and “Joy and Pain”. The only other song I would listen to is “Times are Getting Ill” I found it to be in the same manner as Slick Rick’s “Children’s Story” and Dana Dane’s “Cinderfella” and “Nightmares”. Something I found interesting is “It Takes Two” was sampled over 180 times.

Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock – “Times are Getting Ill”


Chris: When you have such an impactful song like “It Takes Two” I think you’re bound to hear references from it in other places. Just that line “I wanna rock right now, I’m Rob Base and I came to get down, I’m not internationally known but I’m known to rock the microphone”, how many times have you heard some assemblance of that phrasing on a Hip Hop song. I can think a few right now, just off the top of my head.

What was interesting to me is that the popularity of “It Takes Two” actually brought a lot of renewed interest to Lyn Collins, who’s “Think (About It)” is the main sample in “It Takes Two.” She started out as a dancer for James Brown and then later sang and was produced by James Brown. “It Takes Two” is an exampling of the benefits of sampling and how it can benefit the originator. Another example, how many records do you think Etta James sold after FloRida released “Good Feeling”? I imagine it was quite a bit.

Lyn Collins – “Think (About It)”


Chris: “It Takes Two” went certified platinum (sold a million copies) as both an album and as a single, so it’s hard to argue with that but did you think that they made a mistake by putting “It Takes Two” as the first song on the album?

Gary: In most cases yes. But this album is so bad, after listening to the first 2 songs there is no reason to continue. If they were smart, they would have put “Times are Getting Ill” as the third song. That way I would not have to punish my ears thru the rest of the album. When you would purchase an album for a particular song. You would go thru the whole thing and always find a song that you liked better than the one you bought it for. Now I know why I did not remember this album; it is was SO BAD.

Chris: It’s not a very good album. If it were me, I would have put “Joy and Pain” and “It Takes Two” as the last two songs on the album. Imagine if you had the cassette though? Hahaha.

What is your impression of “It Takes Two” now after re-listening to it? Has it stood the test of time for you?

Gary: It is everything I remembered and more. First time I played it after we decided to review it. I was driving with the wife to Northern New Mexico. As soon as it started playing the wife says I remember this song and starts dancing. Such a great song you can listen to it alone at a BBQ, wedding dance or a sporting event. Just an iconic song. It certainly has stood the test of time. My question to you is will they be remembered as a one hit wonder?

Chris: The song “It Takes Two” certainly has stood the test of time. The really caught lightening in a bottle with that song. Will they be remembered as a one hit wonder? I mean, if you’re from my generation or your generation, I feel like you also know “Joy and Pain” but if they’d only be remembered for “It Takes Two”, what a song to be remember for?

Gary: Thanks for having me do this, I went to YouTube and started to listening and watching all the great songs from that decade. Brings back so many great memories.
Chris: Thank you for coming on and for picking “It Takes Two”, it brought back a lot of great memories for me as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment