Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Kwest Tha Madd Lad - "This is My First Album"



Kwest Tha Madd Lad, from Queens, released his debut “This is My First Album” on American Recordings (founded by Rick Rubin) in April of 1996.  The songs on the album were actually recorded between 1992 and 1994 but the album was shelved by American Recordings for 2 years. It didn’t matter much because “This is My First Album” is timeless material. The production consists of smooth beats from familiar sample sources and they are the perfect compliment to Kwest’s skillful, humorous and more often than not sexually charged lyrics.

********
Chris: Admittedly, I was late to on Kwest Tha Madd Lad. I didn’t hear “This is My First Album” until 2002 when I was sent a couple of Kwest Tha Madd Lad songs over AOL Instant Messenger by a friend from the UK. Man, I was hooked! I found a used copy of “This is My First Album” at Hastings a few weeks later and I wore that CD out! I love the production and Kwest’s sense of humor, cadence and storytelling.

I wanted to come back to this album because I’ve always held “This is My First Album” in such high regard and I’ve always wondered why Kwest didn’t hit like I felt he should have.

Mike: I admitted knew nothing about Kwest Tha Madd lad until you recently put me on. Nearly immediately, I was drawn in by his unique flow and awesome choice of production.

Chris: I read in an interview with Kwest Tha Madd Lad that most of the producers that worked on “This is My First Album” were based out of the West coast. Does that surprise you?

Mike: That actually doesn’t surprise me, because the production sounds very different to me, which makes sense because I didn’t listen to a lot of west coast rap. No matter geographically where his production team resided, they brought it.

Chris: I guess they chose to work with West coast producers because they were cheaper, but I agree with you, they definitely brought it.

Mike: Any flaws or dislikes on “This is My First Album”?

Chris: Honestly, I can’t think of any. It’s not album with peaks and valleys. It’s pretty solid throughout. Even on more serious songs like “Herman’s Head”, Kwest’s storytelling ability is enough to keep you compelled. 

Any flaws or dislikes for you? And what did you think of Kwest’s abilities as a storyteller? Which sort of seems like has become a lost art in Hip Hop music.

Mike: I really like “Herman’s Head” too. Between his story telling and his off-color humor, at times this album does remind me of an updated “Great Adventures of Slick Rick”

Typically, I like albums that keep the total number of songs to 12-14. “This is My First Album” clocks in at 18, but I can’t complain. It’s a solid listen all the way through.

Kwest Tha Madd Lad – “Herman’s Head” 



Chris: Any stand out tracks for you?

Mike: I really dig “What’s the Reaction”, “Disk N Dat” and “Buttafewco”, just to name a few. Although I could switch out this top 3 easily, as the level of consistency on this album is high

Chris: I love “What’s the Reaction’. Kwest has said in interviews that he freestyled most of the songs on this album. He actually got his start in the game as battle rapper.

Kwest Tha Madd Lad – “What’s the Reaction” 


My favorite tracks are “Disk N Dat”, “Lubrication” and “Disnexone”. “Love Me or Leave Me Alone” by Brand Nubian is one of my favorite Hip Hop tracks of all time so you know I love that Bobbi Humphrey sample on “Disnexone”

Mike: It’s a magical sample, can’t blame the producer for reflipping that.

Kwest Tha Madd Lad – “Disnexone” 



Brand Nubian – “Love Me or Leave Me Alone” 



Bobbi Humphrey – “San Francisco Nights” 


Chris: Any parting thoughts on Kwest Tha Madd Lad’s “This is My First Album”? And why do you think Kwest didn’t catch on?

Mike: Very solid album that I will continue to bump steadily in the future.  As far as Kwest not catching on, it could be that he was interested in fame or pursuing a rap career. That’s total speculation, but also could explain is minimal output.



2 comments:

  1. I love this it's great I'm learning things about hip hop I never would have known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete