Sunday, August 18, 2019

Mos Def - "Black on Both Sides"


Yasiin Bey a.k.a. Mos Def released his solo debut “Black on Both Sides” in October of 1999 on the now defunct Rawkus Records. It was well received by critics, receiving solid ratings from several reputable publications.  At the time, when “conscious” Rap music was the hot trend, “Black on Both Sides” was the model to live up to. The album features a who’s who of producers, including 88-Keys, Ali Shaheed Muhammad, Ayatollah, Dave Kennedy, Diamond D, DJ Premier, Etch-A-Sketch, Ge-ology Mr. Khaliyl, Psycho Les and Q-Tip.  Many consider Mos Def’s “Black on Both Sides” to be the magnum opus of the Rawkus catalog.

*****Guest request Sean's (@bort_sampson_) 2nd appearance on Rewind

**********

Sean: I first listened to this album my sophomore year of high school. I had listened to Rap growing up, Snoop, Dre, Bone and whatever else was playing on 97.3 KISS FM during the early and mid 90s, but like many others, I fell under the spell of Alternative Rock.  For a number of years, I didn’t stop listening to Rap completely but definitely a whole lot less than I used to, but then our friend Rudy gave me a copy of “Black on Both Sides” one day and boom, my love for Hip Hop came right back. I consider “Black on Both Sides” a seminal album for me in terms of my musical tastes for the next decade or so, especially high school and college. It’s album that once or twice a year, I’ll fire up and listen all the way through and listen to certain songs on repeat.

Chris: Thank you for sharing, Sean. I can definitely relate. This album, along with many other Rawkus Records releases were in heavy rotation for me in high school. In fact, it was me and you, every Tuesday at the record store to cop the latest Rawkus release as soon as it dropped.

Sean: Rawkus in general was very influential for me. How many other labels dropped as many influential albums over a 5 year period as Rawkus did from like 97-02. Talib, Mos, Soundbombing, Lyricist Lounge, Big L, Hi-Tek, EL-P. Pharoahe, and more. You saw that razor blade logo and you knew it was going to be hot.

At the pinnacle, in my opinion, was “Black on Both Sides”

Chris: Definitely! I’ve always said that they need to do a documentary on Rawkus records or even a feature film

Let’s get into the album, what did you think of the production on the album?

Sean: I loved it! It was eclectic, with a little something for everyone – Pop, Soul, Funk, Rock N Roll.  I don’t necessarily listen to the technical aspects of production, but I know what I like and I like pretty much everything on this album.

Chris: The album has a long list of producers (88-Keys, Ali Shaheed Muhammad, Ayatollah, Dave Kennedy, Diamond D, DJ Premier, Etch-A-Sketch, Ge-ology Mr. Khaliyl, Psycho Les and Q-Tip ) that contributed to the album, in your opinion, is this the formula for a good album or is  “Black on Both Sides” an outlier?

Sean: In this case, I think it works. The reason being, Mos is a very eclectic dude, so the wide varierty of beats worked because he’s covering a wide variety of topics. The lack of a singular sound behind the boards is, for me, what gives the album a singular sound. Typically though, I don’t think using several producers on an album works all that well, precisely for the reasons I think it works on “Black on Both Sides”

Mike: I think the lack of cohesiveness beatwise gives this album character. Mos steers a moving ship at a top tier level.

Chris: I think Sean makes a very interesting point about how Mos Def’s eclectic-ness is represented through the wide range of beats by the different producers he worked with and I have to agree with him, he does make it work. Upon re-visiting, I don’t think the album is a as strong production wise as I had remembered it being but it definitely works for Mos.

Were there any particular tracks that stood out to you all?

Sean: My favorite track by a hair is “Speed Law.” I love the beat, the flow, the energy. “Know That” with Talib is a banger too and “Ms. Fat Booty” obviously, also “Brooklyn”

Chris: “Speed Law” is great. Love the Big Brother and The Holding Company sample they used on that!

Mos Def – “Speed Law”


Big Brother and the Holding Company – “Promise Her Anything but Give Her Arpeggio”


Mike: My wife, Vanessa, says that “Ms. Fat Booty” is a great track because it honors a woman’s body, which isn’t typically done in Hip Hop music. It’s tasteful and for that I respect it.

Sean: Great beat, great flow, I love the sample they used.

Mos Def – “Ms. Fat Booty”



Aretha Franklin – “One Step Ahead” 



Chris: I think my favorite song is “Love”. The ill drum loop, the Rakim inspired chorus and I appreciate the subject manner.  The love of his folks manifesting into Mos’ love for music and making music. Also, the “Universal Magnetic, you must respect it” line is a throwback to his first single on Rawkus records from the original Soundbombing.

Mike: I’m gonna say my favorite track is “Mathematics”. I love how Premo flipped the Ghostface vocal for the chorus

Chris: What did you guys think was the best feature? I thought it was hands down Talib. It just makes you wish they’d make another Black Star album. As good as they are individually, I feel like they are never as good as when they are together.

Sean: I love that song so much! Maybe one of these days....

Mos Def feat. Talib Kweli – “Know That” 



Mike: Easily has to be Busta on “Do It Now”. It lends the album an aggressive voice to a low-key album.

Chris: What did you all think of Mos’ lyrics on this album, specifically the social commentary? I like the Psycho Les track “New World Water”. It’s the definitive track on the water crisis.

Sean: Very pointed. “Rock N Roll” is an interesting song, looking how black music is continuously appropriated by white America. This is very valid and worth talking about. The counter argument though is that once you put it out there, it’s out there for anybody. I think that music is such a great medium for people to talk about these topics because it has the potential to reach so many people.

Chris: Yes, I agree.  So did “Black on Both Sides” stand the test of time?

Sean: Yes.

Chris: I still like it but not nearly as much as I did back when I first heard it.

Mike: It has grown on me since I first discovered it. It’s a grown man’s album that I found at a young age. When I was younger, I was drawn to “battle” type tracks but now I can appreciate the introspective roller coaster like “Umi Say”.  All in All, “Black on Both Sides” was never a top album in my book and remains that way. It is a good listen but nothing that gives me the urge to re-listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment